A unique service we offer is development of a Digital Marketing Strategy (DMS). Defining your marketing strategy is an important first step in developing an internet marketing campaign. Our experience is that clients that develop a Digital Marketing Strategy achieve substantially better results. We highly recommend developing a DMS; however, it is not required for all projects and is an optional service we offer to clients.
How to Develop a Digital Marketing Strategy
The infographics below outline our process for developing a Digital Marketing Strategy and implementing a website based on it and our Digital Marketing Planning Graphic.
Steps to Developing a Digital Marketing Strategy and Implementing a New Website
- Initial SEO Analysis: This initial SEO analysis provides an overview of the competitive landscape. If you have an existing website it would include your present search rankings and website metrics. The goal here is to establish a baseline of where we are starting from.
- Digital Marketing Strategy: The Digital Marketing Strategy is discussed in detail below.
- Marketing Strategy
- MAPP Analysis: Marketing Analysis and Persona Profile. This is a digital version of a creative brief and defines what your objectives are, what your marketing style will be, etc.
- Mission and Vision – while strictly speaking this is not essential for developing a new website we find it is useful to review this with clients and for clients to create one if they do not have one. The mission and vision helps define and hone the strategy and articulates your goals and views to us and your staff.
- SEO Analysis (see below for details)
- SEO and SMO (Social Media Strategy) – this section defines what we will be targeted and how the campaign will be implemented.
- Implementation Plan
- SEO Analysis: This SEO analysis is a comprehensive analysis where we
- Competitor Analysis – thorough analysis of competitors websites, search rankings, where they get their website traffic from.
- Keyword Analysis – analysis of top keywords for your market or product, which keywords are most effective, competition for keywords.
- SERP Analysis – Search Engine Rank Position Analysis of your website vs top competitors.
- SEO Implementation Plan
- Website Information Architecture – this is the layout and flow of your website and it is critical for both SEO and usability.
- Website Design – This involves both the graphic design of the homepage and sub-pages as well as the programming, installation of a CRM if your site will include one, CMS (Content Management System), and content creation.
- SEO – this includes bot onsite SEO (work done directly on your website to optimize it) and off-site SE) such as link building, article writing, etc.
- Social Media Campaign – the social media campaign, Social Media Optimization or SMO, works in parallel with the SEO campaign and supplements it. The SMO campaign typically includes Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare in some cases, Blogging, and can include Facebook contests and other social media.
- Bi-Weekly Reporting – we provide weekly reports with stats on what is going on in the campaign.
- Monthly SEO Analysis and Review – our monthly report includes the same stats as the biweekly report plus a summary of our activities during the month.
What is a Digital Marketing Strategy?
The infographic above outlines the process and flow we use for developing a digital marketing strategy.
The Digital Marketing Strategy is an interactive process where we work collaboratively with you to define your goals, the strategy to achieve these goals, and then the tactics to implement the plan. The Digital Marketing Strategy defines the marketing strategy for your company, your brand, tone of conversation (approach to customers), and even the personality of your brand. It also closely examines the performance of your competitor’s websites, where they derive their traffic from, and their social media presence to identify opportunities and strategies for your marketing campaign. In developing the DMS you will examine your company and competitors using a SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, & Threats) analysis and then develop strategies to capitalize on the strengths and opportunities, while minimizing the threats and taking action on the weaknesses. The DMS includes the website architecture for your new website, SEO & SMO task list for implementation, and milestones/goals for your campaign.
Developing a Digital Marketing Strategy (DMS) is an important first step to developing and launching a website and SEO/SMO campaign. The DMS is an interactive process with you and us where we work collaboratively to define your goals, the strategy to achieve these goals, and then the tactics to implement the plan.
The DMS also includes the social media architecture and SMO task list for implementation, and milestones/goals for your campaign.